Driving a car for the first time is probably one of the scariest experiences, so a lot of people would be able to identify with the nervousness, fear, and anxiety when they first laid hands on the steering wheel of the car and the control of the vehicle was their responsibility. Confusing between the brakes, accelerator, and clutch, pushing the brake pedal too hard than required or having that mini heart attack when some car passes by too close is just some of the common experiences for a car novice.
Here are some tips to help you avoid that initial stress and anxiety:
1) First and foremost, put on a seatbelt! This is the most important rule of safety.
2) Know the car well before attempting to drive. Get a clear understanding of the clutch plate, brake, accelerator and how to shift gears.
3) On starting the car, make sure the gear is on neutral, then:
(i) Switch on ignition
(ii) Adjust your left foot on clutch plate completely
(iii) Change Gear by Shift from neutral to first gear along with your Left Foot releasing the clutch slowly. You can also use the right foot simultaneously pressing accelerator slowly and very gently.
(iv) Once the car starts moving you can increase the speed and shift the gear to 2nd by again pressing clutch plate and shifting to 2nd gear using the left leg and from right leg pressing accelerator slightly.
4) Before applying brakes or a taking side turns – always see the rear view mirror or the side rear mirror to check the distance.
5) Always remember to give Proper Indicator with Apt Distance before taking any turns.
6) When you wish to stop the car, slow the car down by coming back to either 1st or the 2nd gear. 40 – 50 meters before the place where you need to park the car, press the clutch plate and slowly use the brake to bring down the acceleration. When you have reached the parking place, stop the car, pull your leg away from the clutch and brake gently and simultaneously to avoid a jerk.
7) Last but not the least, always keep your calm while driving and do not get too nervous else the driving would be affected.
By keeping in mind the tips mentioned above, it will become a lot easier to manage the vehicle without any major difficulties. It is also important to practice driving since driving is a skill gradually perfected with time. Happy Driving!
You may also like:
Car Types/Car Styles